126 W Scenic
126 West circa1860
The Crescent Hotel. Now, the “Harbour Inn Bed & Breakfast.” The large, two-and-a-half-story, frame, gable-roofed, coastal cottage has double-tiered inset galleries with clapboard siding. Pedimented dormers protrude from the roof line. Following Camille hurricane, it was temporary quarters for the Pass Christian Yacht Club. Historic Note: This is the only extant 19th century structure built as a hotel in Pass Christian. Constructed by Patrick Curtis, it was originally called the Live Oak House. In 1888, William Hart acquired it and operated the Crescent Hotel with his three sisters, Miss Mollie, Miss Nellie, and Miss Julia. Charles Dyer's Along the Gulf states, "this was one of the best known hostelries . . . everything used in the shape of poultry, eggs, butter, milk, vegetables, fruit, etc., is raised on the farm in the rear of the estate."
Since 1991, much of the early traditions are carried forth by owners, Diane and Tony Brugger, who made extensive restorations in 1998. Some former owners included Mae McDonald, M. Dambourian, Margaret Duval, Durell Grosch, Sara Beggs, Robert Campbell, Vince Campbell, William Barrett, Diane and Tony Bruger.
John L. Sullivan stayed at the hotel while he was training for the fight at Mississippi City on February 7, 1882. That was the last bare knuckle bout when Ryan was knocked out in the 9th
Special Note: . Other prior names for the Hotel were the Lido and the Meadow House.
The Pass Christian Yacht Club had their club facilities on the beach side of the hotel – it was torn down in 1952. After Hurricane Camille, the Crescent Hotel became the Club's quarters while rebuilding on its present site.