120 W Scenic
120 West circa 1850
This was originally a story-and-a-half, frame, five-bay, coastal cottage; gallery with square columns wrapped around three full sides of the house. Consoles carry the overhanging cornices over each bay on the stuccoed facade. The distinctive pilastered dormers were added. The galleries were enclosed with glass for commercial design.
Ells are attached to the rear outbuilding. A cast iron fence fronts property. Originally, the home belonged to the Hugh Fitzpatrick family who were active in Pass community affairs: Miss Katie was appointed Postmaster in 1937; Mrs. Elena was the Chamber of Commerce Secretary, Deputy Clerk and Tax Collector for the City, and Sister Mary Camillus was with the Sisters of Mary Order.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation has described it as, "the most significant antebellum house on the western portion of Pass Christian's beachfront. Special Interest:
Each prior and current owner have their own special experiences about the ghostly apparitions which are said to haunt this house. A Former Restaurateur, Binh Ly, dug up 150 Scot-English ale bottles dating from 1830 through 1890 that were used as a walk-way between the two large palm trees in the front yard. Also, of note:
Another Restaurateur, operating as "La Galarie"
, was Paul Mattox who was cast in several TV commercials, one of which, was the Marlboro Man
Prior to being a restaurant, it was the home of Mrs. Hugh Fitzpatrick who was one of the daughters of Mrs. Manders who affected the famous "Bedsheet Surrender" as the Federal Troops were shelling the Town in April 1862.
Since early 1990s known as the Blue Rose Restaurant and its current owners have extensively and majestically remodeled the interior two levels and grounds.
And completely restored after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Mrs. Manders home was located on the south side of Scenic prior to Highway 90 being constructed.