Like most of the streets that are perpendicular to Beach Boulevard, those land holders that had cut a roadway on their boundaries to reach the back road had eventually donated or sold the right-of-way to the City in exchange for continued maintenance. This Lane was donated by Allen Hackett, which divided his property. His home was on the west side of the lane.
729 E Scenic Dr
Built circa 1841 on 194 foot frontage
aka Yandle-Hackett House.
This home is a one-story-and-a-half brick, five-bay Greek Revival dwelling. It has a broad, three-bay, pedimented portico set against an inset gallery. It has distinctive lintels with foliated end and center blocks with an attached rear service ell. Casement dormers were an added feature. It is one of two brick antebellum dwellings in the district. The home was built by the Yandle family of Natchez. Conveniently, there was already a brick yard on this site when purchased in 1841. Walls in portions of this home are over a foot thick and covered with plaster. There is a widefront porch, and a main center hall that is flanked by bedrooms, with metal grill ventilators affixed to the ceilings through which summer heat ascends and escapes. Doors leading from the hall into the bedrooms are wider at the base than the summit and are called "key doors." The yellow veined black lmarble lmantle of the living room is believed to have been imported from France or Italy, according to a description by Wm Wiegand.
Before the Civil War it was owned by Alfred Vidal Davis, also from Natchez.
After passing into the hands of the Allen Hackett’s, a strip of land on the east was donated for a north-south roadway that bears his name. This home is unusual for the Coast because it has both a basement and an attic. A white picket fence fronts the property.
Historic Note: Scratched on the outside plaster is the date, “1839.” The base of the hallway doors are wider than the top and are called “Key” doors. One of the prior owners referred to the home as being known as the “Old Slave Quarters” because there was a row of iron rings fastened to the timbers supposedly where slaves were held chained.
Former owners included WR Berkenroad, Mrs James L Ewing,
According to Wm Wiegand:
AV Davis and his next door neighbor, Waterman, of 723 E Scenic Dr were partners in a vinyard located northeast of Rouse's Bridge off Red Creek Road. They brought in European vintners to supervise cultivation and production. A large home was built at the vineyard, but the vacated house fell into disrepair after the death of the principals.
The Davis place passed to the Allen Hacketts, and later became the summer home of Mrs. James L Ewing of the New Orleans Newspaper publishing family, and then to her daughter and son-in-law, the Marshall Powells.